Photography and Video Policy
Visitors are encouraged to take photographs of the gardens and our artwork for personal use, however any commercial use, reproduction or sale, directly or online, of any images is strictly prohibited and may expose violators to civil and criminal penalties.
No license is granted, expressed or implied to make commercial use of any of work. Anyone wishing to seek permission for any commercial project should contact Lauren Joseph, Director of Marketing for Brookgreen Gardens.
Brookgreen Gardens restricts photography and filming of its sculpture collection to avoid conflicts with copyright law that protects artist rights.
Many of the sculptures on view at Brookgreen are part of the Permanent Collection, while others are on temporary or long-term loan to the Gardens. In either case, Brookgreen has not secured permission from the multiple artists for unrestricted reproduction (photography and film included) of their creative works. The copyright, which governs reproduction rights, to the individual works of art are held by the artists themselves, or their estates.
Brookgreen makes no claim to represent the copyright holders nor does Brookgreen provide permission for third parties to photograph or film artwork for distribution without the express written permission of the copyright holder.
Brookgreen values the experience of our visitors and places great importance on visitor safety. Photography must be conducted without disruption to Brookgreen’s operations or limitation to the accessibility of exhibitions, entrances/exits, trails and high-traffic areas.
Are tripods and easels allowed in the Gardens?
Tripod/monopod/easel use by amateur photographers and artists is permitted outside in the Gardens any time at the discretion of Brookgreen Gardens. It is NOT allowed during for high-volume days or specially ticketed events such as Nights of a Thousand Candles.
Photography, painting, or drawing sessions must not interfere with the enjoyment of other guests or create any safety concerns.
- Photos are for personal use only, not for advertising wedding gowns, products, or services.
- Portfolio photography for aspiring models is not permitted.
- Brookgreen reserves the right to refuse permission or terminate a shoot at any time if it is not in the best interest of the artists represented in the Collection; our visitors, donors, or guests; or if it conflicts with the mission of Brookgreen Gardens.
- All photography or filming of a non-personal nature (i.e. editorial, commercial, advertisement) must be approved by Brookgreen Gardens Marketing Department one week (seven days) prior to shooting.
- Drones and drone photography are not allowed at any time in the Gardens.
- Cutting flowers, trimming bushes, or disturbing planting in any way is not allowed.
- Please do not feed our wildlife or zoo animals.
- Please do not disturb netting around cages or in the aviaries.
- Brookgreen reserves the right to approve final content for any publication in any form in which images of Brookgreen Gardens will appear.
- Brookgreen assumes no responsibility for any royalties or fees claimed against the applicant or Brookgreen by third parties.
These rules are subject to change without prior notice at Brookgreen Garden’s discretion.
Brookgreen Gardens provides a beautiful backdrop for photography and we want to make sure you have a great experience taking your family, engagement, graduation, prom or quinceañera portraits, so we require that they be scheduled two weeks in advance and paid in full at the time of booking through our Marketing Department.
Photo sessions are scheduled Monday – Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. We are not able to accommodate photo sessions during the weekends as these are the days in which the gardens are most crowded, and we cannot ensure garden spaces will be easily accessible without blocking other guests.
The fee for a personal photo shoot is $250 and includes:
- Up to a 1 1/2-hour photo shoot.
- Complementary one day admission for 6 to the gardens (includes your photographer). All others must pay regular garden admission.
- A Brookgreen representative to guide your party.
- We encourage you to take photos with our beautiful garden spaces as your backdrop in any available outdoor space, large props or backdrops are not permitted.
- Please be mindful that we are unable to reserve any specific garden areas for photo sessions.
- No wardrobe changes.
We always ask that photographers and clients be courteous to Garden guests and their enjoyment of the Gardens.
We do not allow the obstruction of pathways, guest common areas, building entrances and exits and areas being used for private or Garden-wide events. The intrusion on exhibits is also prohibited.
To protect our plant displays we do not allow photographers, clients, or equipment in any of our plant beds while taking photographs.
Decorations, signs, notices, banners, etc. may not be written, taped, nailed, stapled, or otherwise fastened to any Brookgreen property, plants, trees, or sculpture.
A Brookgreen representative will accompany your party for the duration of the session.
In case of inclement weather, a photography session may be rescheduled through our photography coordinator under the terms above. There are no refunds for photography sessions (to include non-rescheduled shoots or no-shows).
Brookgreen Gardens was named one of the most romantic gardens in the Southeast, so naturally it is a great place for your proposal. If you would like to make special arrangements for your proposal, please contact our Marketing Department. Proposal appointments must be booked and paid in full at least two weeks in advance.
Our proposal package is $300 and includes:
- Up to one hour of assistance with small props or decorations from a Brookgreen staff member. Balloons, open flame, sparklers, or large signage or banners are not allowed.
- Complementary one day admission for 6 to the gardens (includes your photographer)
- A celebratory bottle of sparkling wine on the terrace at Azalea after your special someone says yes!
Our proposal package is not available during Nights of a Thousand Candles.
Proposals are welcome during this event, but no professional photographers or large props can be used, and no staff assistance is available.
Wedding and Bridal Photography
ONLY couples that have their wedding booked at Brookgreen Gardens may have their wedding or bridal photography done in the gardens. This is to preserve the special nature of a Brookgreen Gardens wedding for those couples. Any clients who have rented the Garden for both their ceremony and reception receive one complimentary 1-hour photography session in the garden area they have secured for their ceremony or reception.
All wedding and bridal photography should schedule through our events department.
Printable Version of this policy available here.